With the SAP module Enterprise Asset Management (SAP EAM) – formerly SAP PM (SAP Plant Maintenance) – SAP SE offers a comprehensive application for the maintenance of mobile and stationary plants and devices.
SAP EAM takes into account all maintenance measures in accordance with DIN 31051. For this purpose, integration with other SAP modules is important and it ensures the exchange of information between the individual departments and systems. All business processes can be integrated in the maintenance function and they can be mapped specifically for each company.
The definition stems from DIN 31051 – Fundamentals of maintenance:
“Combination of all technical administrative and managerial actions during the life cycle of an item intended to retain it in, or restore it to, a state in which it can perform the required function”.
Maintenance management covers the following activities:
- Measures to determine and evaluate the functional status including determination of the causes of wear and derivation of the required measures
- Measures to delay the deterioration of the existing level of wear
- Measures implemented to restore the function of a defective unit
- Measures to improve the reliability and/or maintainability and/or safety of a unit, without changing its original function
With time, the classic maintenance due to defects has been eliminated and has been replaced by further-developed maintenance strategies and concepts, which can be mapped with SAP EAM (SAP Enterprise Asset Management):
- Preventive maintenance
- Condition-based maintenance
- Predictive maintenance
SAP EAM - Preventive maintenance
Preventive maintenance consists of both time-based and performance-based maintenance.
- Predefined maintenance plans with fixed or coordinated cycles determine all the maintenance dates and automatically generate an order for the specified dates
- Recording of meter readings at regular intervals to determine the updated maintenance dates
SAP EAM - Condition-based maintenance
In condition-based maintenance, the maintenance is based on predefined measurement points. If the limits for such a defined condition are exceeded, the system outputs a message.
SAP EAM - Predictive maintenance
Predictive maintenance is an extension of condition-based maintenance; in addition to the predefined measurement points, it also contains statistical evaluations and forecasts.